We’re looking for a Lead Linux System Administrator for a permanent full-time opportunity to join our IT Infrastructure team within our Winnipeg Head Office.
As Lead Linux System Administrator, you will lead a team of Linux administrators while ensuring our Linux environments’ stability, security, and efficiency. You will provide direct technical and administrative lead support to all aspects of Unix/Linux, VMWare, Backup and Recovery and Amazon Web Services environments for a multi-site 24-hour manufacturing environment. You will be responsible for the effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of systems hardware, software, and related infrastructure, including participation in technical research and development.
If you are a dedicated and driven individual, enjoy resolving problems, thrive in a fast-paced environment, and seek diverse experience and career advancement, we would like to consider your application.
What We Offer
- Competitive compensation
- Profit sharing program – every role plays a part in our success!
- Company pension
- Health & Extended Benefits
- Opportunities for professional development
- Tuition reimbursement
- Employee & Family Assistance Program
- On-Site Cafeteria & Outdoor Patio
- On-Site Gym
- A variety of committee-driven employee engagement activities
- Free Parking
- We are one of Manitoba’s Top Employers for 2023
What You’ll Do
- Lead and mentor a team of Linux administrators to provide technical guidance and support to team members.
- Responsible for general systems administration, including system configuration management, OS upgrades, security updates, and urgent system patching.
- Work closely with Application Managers, Information Security, project managers, and software developers.
- Determine requirements from other teams and direct Operating System, Database, Storage, and Network administrators to deliver the changes. i.e., additional SAN storage to expand volumes or replication of LUNs to disaster recovery site, firewall change requests, OS/DB security groups or layout of filesystems, etc.
- Review security reports and assess impacts to applications, databases, and users.
- Maintain comprehensive and up-to-date documentation for Linux systems and configurations, including network and systems diagrams, to ensure team members adhere to documentation standards.
- Lead OS/middleware/hardware upgrade projects from planning to execution.
- Monitor filesystems, forecast growth, and conduct regular security audits and vulnerability assessments.
- Write Korn/Borne/Bash shell scripts for logging and transferring files leveraging SFTP/FTPS/MFT/eMFT.
- Identify and troubleshoot server and application performance issues with appropriate teams (DBA, OS/Server, Network, Storage, Development).
- Raise Service Now Change requests and coordinate the change during the scheduled window.
- Write root cause analysis in determining issue resolutions.
- Take part in or lead Disaster Recovery exercises.
- Optimize VMWare administration for hosting Linux VM Environment.
Who You Are
- A tech enthusiast driven by a passion for efficiency, equipped with strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- A highly motivated self-starter who takes the initiative with minimal supervision
- A continuous learner who goes above and beyond to get the job done.
- A collaborative individual who communicates clearly and promptly.
- A team player, adept at managing multiple tasks with a proactive, “service-first” attitude. Possessing the ability to work independently on various projects with tight deadlines.
- An analytical, detail-orientated problem-solver who identifies risks and gaps through critical thinking.
What You’ll Need
- Post-Secondary degree or diploma in a technical field, such as Engineering or Computer Science.
- 5+ years of experience as a Linux Administrator.
- 3+ years of team leadership experience.
- Strong proficiency in Linux server administration (Red Hat, CentOS, Ubuntu, etc.); including automating installations and configuration management using Kickstart, Puppet or Ansible as well as identity management systems such as FreeIPA, Asterisk and Samba.
- Experience working with VMWare ESXi, vSphere, vCenter and Site Recovery Manager, specifically in building and administering virtual infrastructure environments.
- Understanding of networking concepts (i.e., VLANs, layer2/3 routing, access lists & load balancing) and mail flow and routing (Postfix, Sendmail) and monitoring tools (Nagios, Cacti, Zabbix) and scripting (Bash).
- Experience working with backup and recovery solutions such as CommVault, NetBackup, Veeam and/or Bacula/BareOS.
- Working knowledge and background of products and services within Amazon Web Services (VPC, EC2, Cloud Watch, Cloud Trail, etc. and relevant scripting skills using CloudFormation, etc.) and/or demonstrative hosting-specific technical skills.
- Working knowledge of ITIL practices, such as change management, incident management, etc.
- Experience in data security and protection, especially encryption and access controls will be considered an asset.
- Familiar with *Nix environment management through the command line for: storage management, process management, network mounts, routing, firewall testing, security settings, and performance monitoring.
- Ability to travel within Canada and the USA.
- Ability to work after-hours and on-call on a regular basis.
- Experience with monitoring tools such as Sensu, Zabbix, or Prometheus is an asset.
- Experience with Container technology such as Kubernetes, or Docker is an asset.
- Experience with provisioning tools like Chef, Foreman and the like.
Apply now by submitting a cover letter and resume outlining fit and salary to email@example.com.
Pollard Banknote Limited is an equal opportunity employer, committed to promoting and maintaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. Reasonable accommodations are available upon request.
By submitting this application, the applicant consents to Pollard Banknote Ltd. collecting, using and retaining the personal information for purposes relating to the application process and if hired, the employment relationship.
Any and all personal information collected is held in the strictest confidence and in accordance with all applicable Privacy Laws.
We thank all candidates that apply, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Employment is contingent upon a satisfactory response from a Criminal Record Search.